November 29
-
UNHCR and Partners Step Up Congo Aid Efforts Amid Uncertainty [press release]
UNHCR
Amid continuing political uncertainty in the eastern Congo, UNHCR and its partners have been stepping up efforts to assist tens of thousands of displaced people. Read more »
-
Defence Force Operations Yield Results
SAnews.gov.za
The South African National Defence Force's operations conducted throughout the country have continued to yield positive results, with more illegal weapons, contraband and dagga... Read more »
-
UN Envoy Recognises Angola's Commitment to Peace in DRC
ANGOP
The commitment of the Angolan Government led by president José Eduardo dos Santos to the quest for peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo was recognised Wednesday in... Read more »
-
Diplomat Reiterates Peaceful Solution to DRC's Conflict
ANGOP
The secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Manuel Augusto, reiterated in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, that Angola is for a peaceful and lasting solution to the conflict in the... Read more »
-
Journalists Report Being Threatened in Bukavu [press release]
IFEX
Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo should investigate threats against at least four journalists in the eastern city of Bukavu and bring the perpetrators to justice,... Read more »
-
South Sudan Calls for Peaceful Resolution to Congo Conflict
Sudan Tribune
South Sudan on Wednesday called for a peaceful resolution to conflict in the neighbouring country of the Democratic Republic of Congo, where dissident armed groups last week took... Read more »
-
Armed Forces Chief Points Out Priorities for New Mandate
ANGOP
The head of staff of the Angolan Armed Forces (FAA), General Geraldo Sachipengo Nunda, points out as the priority of his second mandate to accomplish with zeal the mission... Read more »
-
DRC M 23 Rebels Begin Pulling Out of Goma
Cameroon Tribune
The UN yesterday November 28 confirmed that rebels had begun pulling out of Goma. Read more »
-
A 10-Year-Old's Ordeal of Flight and Separation [press release]
UNHCR
Losing a child is every parent's nightmare. The ordeal for Baseme and Eugenie was all the worse because they were separated from their 10-year-old son, Sukuru, in the middle of a... Read more »
November 28
-
Journalists Report Being Threatened in Bukavu [press release]
CPJ
Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo should investigate threats against at least four journalists in the eastern city of Bukavu and bring the perpetrators to justice,... Read more »
-
Conflict Minerals Not Fueling M23 Rebellion [analysis]
OSISA
The capture of Goma by M23 rebel forces is the latest demonstration of the ineffectiveness of the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and its army (the FARDC).... Read more »
-
Civilian Population in Masisi At Risk
IRIN
As Masisi, a lush territory in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), finds itself surrounded by military elements and mounting conflict, humanitarian agencies grow... Read more »
-
African Press Review 27 November 2012
RFI
It's not all smooth-running for Kenya's voter registration. Kenya's justice system sets up a new court. Party leaders start a charm offensive on the V-P. Will the Mwakwere rule be... Read more »
-
FDLR Attack 'Won't Draw Rwanda Into DRC Crisis'
New Times
Government has said it will not be drawn into conflict in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, even after heavily armed militiamen attacked villages in the Western... Read more »
-
Defining Peacekeeping Downward - the UN Debacle in Eastern Congo
New Times
At 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 20, one of the few tanks belonging to the M23 rebels of eastern Congo fired a single shell into the international airport on the outskirts of Goma, the... Read more »
-
M23 Rebels Agree to Withdraw From Goma
New Times
THE chief military commander of the M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo said yesterday his group was ready to withdraw from Goma, the country's main eastern city. Read more »
-
Prosecution Questions Competence of MLC Court Martial
Bemba Trial Website
Today, the prosecution questioned the fairness of trials conducted by war crimes accused Jean-Pierre Bemba's Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC), suggesting that suspects... Read more »
-
M23 Agree to Withdraw From Goma, Sake
New Times
The M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have agreed to a regional peace plan that requires them to withdraw from the strategic eastern towns of Goma and Sake, a... Read more »
-
Gulf of Guinea Country Members Urged to Fight Piracy - Foreign Minister
ANGOP
The Angolan Foreign Affairs Minister, Georges Chicoti, urged on Tuesday in Luanda the state members to make efforts in order to fight piracy, whose roots are usually found on the... Read more »
-
U.S. State Department Daily Press Briefing: Dr-Congo/Rwanda [document]
State Department
Excerpt from the United States Department of State daily press briefing: Read more »
-
Nation Attends IOM 101st Session in Geneva
ANGOP
A delegation of the Angolan Permanent Mission in Switzerland started to attend on Tuesday in Geneva the 101st session of the managing board of the International Organisation for... Read more »
-
Nation Denounces Attempts of M23 Rebel Group in Congo
Egypt Online
Egypt denounced on Monday 26/11/2012 attempts by the M23 rebel group in The Democratic Republic of Congo to topple the regime. Read more »
-
Timber Smuggling in Congo Worries East Africa
Observer
Uncontrolled exploitation of natural resources in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is beginning to worry countries in the Great Lakes region. A new report, which prompted the... Read more »
-
Support Regional Efforts to Resolve Congo Conflict - Rwandan Envoy
New Times
Rwanda's Permanent Representative to the African Union Prof, Joseph Nsengimana, has rallied the AU Peace and Security Council to support a regional roadmap to peace in eastern... Read more »
-
Rwanda Will Not Allow FDLR Attack to Derail the ICGLR Peace Process for the DRC
Rwanda Govt
Rwanda's Foreign Minister and Government Spokesperson today said attacks on Rwanda by the FDLR would be contained by the RDF and that the fighting would not be allowed to escalate: Read more »
AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.