Nairobi — Two Kanu MPs want the Government to unconditionally resettle more than 10,000 families evicted from Mau Forest.
Bomet MP Nick Salat and his Sotik counterpart Anthony Kimetto said all the evictees in Narok South should be resettled and compensated by the Government.
Speaking during a rally at Mulot trading centre in Bomet on Sunday, the MPs said the Government was not interested in resettling the evictees. Recently, the Government said it would resettle those who had been evicted from forests, but this has not been done.
Salat said the Government's resettlement claim was a public relation gimmick.
Kimetto said governments should protect citizens and their properties.
Narok DC Hassan Farah said at the weekend that 282 families would be resettled in Nakuru District.
Separately, 70 Kanu officials and elders from Narok South yesterday faulted the Government's verification of land title deeds in the area.
Spokespersons Kalyasoi Toltol and Johnstone Mibei, said the provincial administration and land officials had locked out thousands of people, with genuine title deeds, out of the exercise.
Others had not been issued with title deeds yet they had purchase agreements and were likely to be left out of the resettlemnt, they said.
In a statement read to the Press in Bomet, the leaders said the Government should not only resettle the victims in their former farms, but give those who are resettled land equivalent in size to what they previously owned.