Senior members of the Sierra Leone Airports Authority have informed members of the press about arrests effected by the Aviation Security (AVSEC) at the Freetown International Airport, Lungi from the 5th August 2001 to 25th July 2006.
Among others, the report noted that SS/O Alhassan Kallon of AVSEC arrested Hassan Hossen of 117 Wilkinson Road, Freetown with two piece of diamonds on the 5th of August 2001 when the passenger was about to travel on the West Coast Airline.
SS/O Alhassan Kallon made another arrest on the 9th April 2002 AC SO Lawrence Conteh made an arrest where Miss Amie Isaura Fye and Kajalee Jallow were caught with 40kg and 12 kg respectively of cannabis sativa.
The report also mentioned instances of May and September arrest in 2003 where Aviation securities carried out their normal routine while the police claim they carry out the arrest at the Lungi International Airport, failing to appreciate that AVSEC is infact carrying out these arrests.
Documentary evidence clearly indicated that, the arrest of the three Nigerians and a Dutch was done by ACSO S.I. Bangura in company with SS/O Alusine Tommy, all of them aviation security, who then handed over the suspects to the police, and therefore the police should not make claims on the issue of arrest even though they have not involved in all of these arrest directly.
However, the public relations officer, of the SLAA Mr. Swarray maintained that, Mary Lanasana, arrested the Nigerian lady Akinnola Ayomide Oluyatayin with 56 bundles of cocain not the police. Mary Lansana is an aviation security of the Sierra Leone Airport authority and whenever such arrest is been made, the aviation security and senior members of SLAA would always ensure that, suspects are handed over to police for further investigations.
The deputy manager also spoke about the cordial relationship between the Sierra Leone Airport Authority and the Sierra Leone Police Force, in which he assured members of the public that, the aviation security at the Lungi International Airport are well trained in carrying out their duties.
SIERRA LEONE AIRPORTS AUTHORITY ARRESTS EFFECTED BY AVSEC AT THE FREETOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, LUNGI, FROM 5TH AUGUST 2001 TO 25TH JULY 2006 1. 5TH AUGUST 2001 SS/O Alhassan Kallon, arrested Mr. Hassan Hossen of 117 Wilkinson Road, Freetown with two pieces of diamonds.
The passengerwas to travel with the West Coast Airline.
2. 9th DECEMBER 2001 SS/O Alhassan Kallon arrested Mr. James Roland Tadlock, an American Diplomat with Passport Number 801294143 with fourteen (14) carats of gold dust. He was to travel with Ghana Airways to Accra.
3. 16th APRIL 2002 ACSO Lawrence Conteh arrested Miss Amie Isaura Fye with Passport No. 102358059, American National, with 40 kg of cannabis sativa and Mr. Kajalee Jallow, Passport No.
G00063347 Gambian with 12kg cannabis sativa.
4. 27th MAY 2003 S/SO Alhassan Kallon arrested Mr. Fadillu Mohamed Lamin, holder of Sierra Leone Passport No. 0052214 with four pieces of diamond in his wallet. He was travelling to Conakry on West Coast Airways.
5. 20th SEPT. 2003 Assistant Chief Security Officer Lawrence B. Conteh arrested Dr. Ankur Purohit, an American National with quantity of diamonds weighing 128.9 carats. He was travelling on Sierra National Airlines to USA.
6. 8TH OCTOBER 2003 S/O Adams P. Serry arrested three Nigerians with quantity of diamonds weighting 126 carats. The were travelling on Bellview Airline to Lagos. They are: - Samuel Ebenezer Olaniyi -A 2143802 - Mr. Ojo Kola Russel - A0815376 - Mr. Usmal Taofeeti Dawala - A2143802 7. 30TH JANUARY 2004 Mr. David S. Gbla, arrested a Nigerian, Mr. Abafemi Akindele with four (4) parcels of cocaine, weighing 4.20kg neatly tied on his person. He was travelling on Bellview Airline to Lagos.
8. 22nd Feb 2004 W/SO Mary Lansana, arrested a British National, Denise Diana McFarland with two parcels of cocaine weighing 2.15kg. neatly tied on his person. The said cocaine weighed 2.15kg. She was travelling on Sierra National Airline to London.
9. 22nd Feb 2004 W/SO Fatmata Conteh arrested Mrs. Musu Taiwo with 52 Sierra Leonean Passports. She alleged that the said passports were given to her by one Mr. Oyebanji Rasheed, a Nigerian National to be delivered to Mrs. Abibatu Oki, a Nigerian in Lagos.
10. 20th Feb 2006 ACSO S.I. Bangura in company with SS/O Alusine Tommy arrested three (3) Nigerians and Dutch National with 18.40kg narcotics i.e. cocaine. It was all tied on there persons. There were travelling on Astraeus Airlines to Gatwick.
They are: - Mathew Okechuwu Echefundke 5.44kg A836919 - Hanson Friday Okafor 3.32kg - A2981159a - Ignitions Egimira 6.34kg - A2981159a - Renita Harvey Fozeh 3.30kg NG 2477748 11. 25th July 2006 W/SO Mary Lansana, arrested a Nigerian lady Akinnola Ayomide Oluyatayin with 56 bundles of cocaine. She was travelling on Bellview Airline to Heathrow.