19 January 2008

Kenya: Policeman Killed As Protests Rock Town

Nairobi — An administration police officer was Friday shot with a poisoned arrow and later succumbed to his injuries in Kapsita area within Molo District.

Rift Valley Provincial Police Officer Everett Wasige confirmed the incident which, he said, took place at around noon.

Mr Wasige, who spoke to the Nation as he headed to the scene of the incident, said a major operation will be undertaken to flush out the culprits.

Become targets

He said it was unfortunate that security agents had become targets in the continuing violence in the country.

In Narok Town, a man was shot dead with an arrow in Mung'are area of Majengo estate as a demonstration called by ODM entered the third day Friday.

Confirming the incident, Narok divisional police boss Patrick Wambani said the man was shot during a confrontation between the hundreds of protesters and residents of Majengo estate.

Mr Wambani said the man died on the spot as Good Samaritans tried to pull out the poisoned arrow from his body.

He said the body was moved to Narok District Hospital Mortuary.

At least six people were also seriously injured during the demonstrations while 20 others were arrested in connection with looting and rioting.

The six were rushed to the Narok District Hospital theatre in serious condition after they were attacked with arrows, machetes and clubs during the riots.

Narok North DC Andrew Rukaria said the 20 protesters arrested would be charged with the offences later yesterday to ease congestion at the police station.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people have fled Majengo, Olpopong and London estates in the town for fear of being attacked at night.

The residents have been camping at the police station, the DC's office and Lenana Primary School since chaos broke out.

No-go zone

The town was a no-go zone early yesterday morning as demonstrators lit bonfires along the streets and stoned business premises and motor vehicles.

Police had to lob teargas canisters and shoot in the air to disperse the angry mobs.

In Busia, police yesterday fired live shots into demonstrators and critically injured a 15-year-old girl.

The protesters, carrying a mock coffin of President Kibaki, got into trouble when they passed near Busia police station chanting anti-Kibaki slogans.

Police then moved to disperse the crowd and in the process shot the school girl on the right leg.

Meanwhile, Busia Town remained deserted after the riots with virtually all shops closed and both the official entry points at the Busia Kenya-Uganda border hurriedly closed by security personnel.

Similarly, protesters in Yala carried a mock coffin of the President which they buried at a local cemetery.

Additional reporting by Michael Oongo

Copyright © 2008 The Nation. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.