THE Ministry of Health has said the total number of swine flu cases treated has reached 726 with the Copperbelt Province recording the highest number.
Acting Health Minister Peter Daka also said in Lusaka yesterday Zambia had not recorded any deaths countrywide since the disease was first reported while all the patients who have tested positive are generally stable.
Mr Daka said at a Press briefing the number of patients who were getting quarantined had increased but most of them did not exhibit symptoms of the H1N1 virus but had only flu like signs.
He said health officials around the country were on high alert to attend to persons suspected to have acquired the virus.
"The total number of swine flu cases has reached 746 whereas the Copperbelt has recorded the highest number of cases in the country at 420 cases," he said.
He said the situation on the Copperbelt had improved with Ndola having no new admissions but was still treating 12 patients who were said to be in a stable condition.
Mr Daka said Luanshya had 43 cases under treatment while Isoka recorded a total of 48 patients who had since been admitted. This is out of the cumulative 254 cases that were screened as at September 23.
He said the number of patients quarantined in Isoka as at September 27 was 197 while 101 people had so far been discharged.
"Malole High School in Mungwi District had also reported suspected cases of the pandemic which were under investigations and the ministry was still waiting for the report," Mr Daka said.
The minister said Western Province recorded 32 cases all of which were from Lewanika High School in Mongu District while North-western Province recorded 35 cases all from Mukinge Girls High School in Kasempa.
Mr Daka said the Ministry of Health would continue its surveillance activities for influenza and updating knowledge and skills of health workers on the response to the pandemic.