Kampala — The Uganda Peoples Congress presidential candidate, Mr Olara Otunnu, yesterday tabled 'evidence', indicating that President Museveni allegedly plotted genocide in northern Uganda to exterminate the Acholi community in order to take over their fertile land. But State House dismissed the November 14, 1986 dossier purportedly written by President Museveni to his brother, Gen. Caleb Akandwanaho alias Salim Saleh, detailing how the Acholi were to be killed.
Tabling the dossier to journalists in Kampala yesterday at an emergency press conference, Mr Otunnu said the Lord's Resistance Army insurgence that devastated northern Uganda was highly welcomed by the government as a disguise to accomplish its already planned mission.
The document surfaced after Todd David Whitmore, an associate professor of Christian Ethics at the University of Notre Dame, USA, published on his website on December 22, 2010.
Prof. Whitmore identifies the author of the letter as Mr Museveni and the addressee as Salim Saleh although the letter bears Tremor I and Meteor Plus One as the code-named addresser and addressee respectively.
The letter among other aspects shows that President Museveni and his commanders had earlier allegedly decided to redraw the map of Uganda in order to exclude the backward 'northerners' from their 'new Uganda' particularly the Acholi.
Change of mind
Mr Museveni's change of mind from redrawing the map was reportedly prompted by his flight from Arua to Gulu which led to his discovery of 'miraculous' work of God in northern Uganda.
The land is described as being rich in 'incongruity of the landscapes from east and western banks of the River Nile and luxuriantly green vegetation interspersed with woodlands. The dossier also points to a plot to eliminate some old politicians who were perceived to give President Museveni's new regime troubles.
Prof Whitmore says the memo was given to him together with a letter written by an office worker at State House Entebbe identified as Virginia Kajumba, now deceased, to his lover Maj Okello Kolo, who was an officer in the National Resistance Army. He says it was Ms Kajumba who got the memo from the NRM files.
However, the President's press secretary, Mr Tamale Mirundi, yesterday squashed the letter, saying: "How could someone write something of this nature well knowing its consequences. How would someone keep the letter for this long and release it at this time?" asked Mr Mirundi.
"That letter does not exist. It reminds me of someone in Germany who claimed that he had writings of Adolf Hitler. But after intensive interrogation, he admitted he was the author. I am sure Mr Otunnu is the author of that letter." Daily Monitor could not reach Salim Saleh for a comment as his known telephone remained switched off.