27 January 2011

Somalia: Death Toll Rose As Calm Returned Mogadishu Battle-Zones

Mogadishu — As the fighting between and Al shabaab fighters and Somali government forces joined by African Union peacekeepers stopped Wednesday afternoon, the death is so far confirmed had risen to 10 people while at least 20 others wounded.

A resident at Bondhere district told Shabelle Media Network that shaky calm returned the Mogadishu's battle zones, adding that the warring sides are on face to face each other so far.

Most of yesterday' combats had taken place in the districts of Hodan, Howlwadag, Bondhere in northern and southern parts of Mogadishu.

Sheikh Abdul Azez Abu Mus'ab, the spokesman of Al shabaab for the military operations told the local press that they killed some 5 AMISOM soldiers during the battles that kicked off Tuesday night.

He spelled out thy also burnt the two of armored vehicles owned AU forces in Mogadishu.

No statements about Mogadishu battles were immediately available from Somali troops and African union peacekeepers.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2011 Shabelle Media Network. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.