A pro-Gbagbo Notre Voie newspaper correspondent in Korhogo, a town of about 600 km north of Abidjan on January 25, 2011 said he fled the town after persistent threats on his life by New Forces, an armed group in Cote d’Ivoire supporting Alassane Ouattara, the internationally recognized president of the country.
The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA)’s correspondent in Cote d’ Ivoire, reported that Silué Kanigui fled through Burkina Faso and Ghana and he is now in Abidjan.
Kangui told the MFWA correspondent that he started receiving verbal and written threats since November 28, 2010 after the second round of the country’s presidential election.
On the voting day, he was threatened with death by the New Forces at Korhogo police station where he had gone to inquire about a wounded supporter of Gbagbo, who had been sent to the police station instead of the hospital. He alleged that the New Forces promised to “eliminate them one by one” at the police station.
Kanigui said he fled on December 4, 2010 when some youth group of Rally of Republicans (RDR), Ouattara’s party stormed his house and attempted to plunder it.
In a related development,Tibruce Koffi, a contributor to' Le Nouveau Réveil , newspaper supporting Henri Konan Bédié, former head of state of Cote d’Ivoire has fled into exile in France claiming that he is being pursued by assassins engaged by Laurent Gbagbo” to execute him. In a letter published on 24 January, Koffi revealed that these people engaged to kill him rather facilitated his flee. The open letter titled: “From his exile in Paris, Koffi to Gbagbo”: “You must be angry with the killers you engaged to eliminate me, but who helped me to flee the country.”, the letter said