The Star (Nairobi)

2 September 2011

Kenya: Family Saved in Kirinyaga House Fire

Property worth thousands of shillings were burnt when a semi-permanent house in Kirinyaga Central district. According to the police boss Patrick Oduma, a family of five from Gatuto village escaped death when neighbours rushed to rescue them.

Oduma said a solar battery charging was left unattended. He said that neighbours rushed to the house and managed to rescue the children and their mother who were asleep when they broke the door of the house.

The OCPD added that well wishers helped the family make a make shift home for them to spend the night. Oduma went on to say that neighbours took the children to their homes to spend the night. Area MP who rushed to the home gave a contribution of Sh10,000 to enable them construct a house.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2011 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.