Property worth thousands of shillings were burnt when a semi-permanent house in Kirinyaga Central district. According to the police boss Patrick Oduma, a family of five from Gatuto village escaped death when neighbours rushed to rescue them.
Oduma said a solar battery charging was left unattended. He said that neighbours rushed to the house and managed to rescue the children and their mother who were asleep when they broke the door of the house.
The OCPD added that well wishers helped the family make a make shift home for them to spend the night. Oduma went on to say that neighbours took the children to their homes to spend the night. Area MP who rushed to the home gave a contribution of Sh10,000 to enable them construct a house.