A number of members of the People's Assembly criticized on Monday the report of the fact-finding committee about the Port Said massacre. 74 people were killed in this massacre which followed a football match on February 1.
Some MPs said that the report did not produce anything new and did not determine the real perpetrators behind the events. They also stated that the report did not mention the armed forces' role in securing all games.
The report failed to name the real culprit, Al-Masry Al-Youm quoted Mahmoud Al-Sakka, head of Al-Wafd parliamentary group, as saying. Al-Sakka also said that he visited Port Said and spoke with some of its residents, adding that the culprit should have been identified in that report.
This incident should not be considered as mere football riots because it is concerned with national security, head of parliamentary group of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, Hussein Ibrahim, stated.
The report caused some frustration in public opinion and contained nothing new except for two points, MP Wahid Abdel Megid said. The first is that there had been two security plans which means that there was a plot, and the second is that there were no army forces to secure the game unlike the game between Al-Ahly and Al-Masry last April.
Al-Masry Al-Youm quoted Abdel Megid as stressing the importance of identifying the person responsible for the absence of army forces to secure the match. Abdel Megid added that statements of Al-Ahly players should be taken especially player Mohamed Abu Treika who announced he has information.
MP Zeyad Al-Elemi criticized the report which he said mainly blamed the media and the Ultras members. "The Ultras participated in the revolution and protected Tahrir (protest) squares", he said, refusing to name a whole group as "thugs".
Al-Elemi pointed out the importance of determining the real culprit in the final report, hinting that lawlessness plays into the hands of the Supreme Council of Armed Forces.