New Vision (Kampala)

Uganda: Former Tanzania Leader to Grace Kampala University Graduation

Former Tanzanian president, Dr Ali Hassan Mwinyi is expected in Uganda where he will grace the 9th graduation ceremony of Kampala University (KU) today.

The university's Vice Chancellor (VC)Prof. Badru Kateregga told journalists that Mwinyi will be accompanied by members of his family.

Dr. Mwinyi served as Tanzania's president for a decade, from 1985 to 1995.

Kateregga said the graduation ceremony will be presided over by the university's Chancellor Prof. Edward Rugumayo.

He said the ceremony will also be attended by the Kenyan education minister Prof. Sam Ongeri.

Kateregga said 2048 graduands will be awarded degrees, diplomas, and certificates in various disciplines. Of these, 74 will be awarded Masters degrees and 24 Postgraduate diplomas.

Of the 2048 graduands, 57.9% are male and the other 42.1% are female.

The VC revealed that about half of the university students were from the East African community.

Kateregga, who is also the chairman of the Uganda University Council, lauded the Government for creating a conducive atmosphere for investment in education.

He however, said that some more Government interventions were needed to make Uganda more competitive in offering education services in the region.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 New Vision. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.