Capital FM (Nairobi)

Kenya Vows to Continue Fight Against Terrorism

Photo: Capital FM News
Sylvester Opiyo is one of the suspects in custody.

Nairobi — Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka has urged Kenyans to remain calm as the government continues to fights terror after a grenade attack on a Nairobi bus station killed six people on Saturday.

Musyoka, visiting survivors at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) on Saturday night said that it was a difficult moment for the country but that the fight against terror was on course.

"We urge for calm and we will definitely win the war against terrorism," he said.

The attack took place at the Machakos country bus station, near the city centre. Earlier, a senior police official who did not want to be named said it was believed several grenades had been thrown at the bus station.

"This is an act of people who think that they can puncture the resolve to fight terror, it is a difficult moment by it should strengthen our resolve and am sure we will win," said the VP.

Earlier, police spokesman Charles Owino was equally defiant as he denounced the bloodshed.

"This is a cowardly act by Al-Shabaab elements," he told reporters at the site of the attack, the busy bus station near the city centre.

"But we will not relent in the war. We will get them and we will continue with the war."

Kenyan troops are currently fighting the Al Shabaab in neighbouring Somalia.

Meanwhile the Deputy Director of clinical services at KNH Simon Monda confirmed that three patients died while receiving treatment bringing the death toll to six.

"Among those who were admitted here at KNH we have lost three while they were receiving treatment both males," said Monda.

He said that KNH had received 41 patients who survived the blast and had designated a special ward for them (ward number 42)

Others who visited the survivors included Special Programmes minister Esther Murugi and Embakasi MP Ferdinand Waititu.

Murugi promised that the government will beef up emergency medical requirements at the hospital to cater for the needs of the blast's survivors.

She said that a tent will be set up at KNH to help relatives of the survivors in tracing those who may be missing as well as offering counseling services.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Capital FM. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Kenya: Blind Man Questioned in Grenade Probe

The Anti-Terrorism Police Unit suspect a blind man of being involved in the grenade attack that killed nine people and leaving scores injured at a bus terminus in Nairobi. Read more »