THE Ondonga royal family has said that the health condition of their king is being exaggerated and that he was flown to Windhoek only for a general medical check-up.
Media reports have been circulating since last week that the health of King Immanuel Kauluma Elifas has deteriorated to the extent that he has named a successor.
Ondonga Traditional Authority secretary Josef Asino confirmed to The Namibian that the king has nominated Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo as his successor, but there is no question of installing him while the king is alive.
Asino explained that according to Ondonga tradition no one can be installed as king while the incumbent is still alive.
On Saturday Nangolo, a career soldier, was officially given a homestead at Onambango village in the senior headman district of Ondangwa, which is currently led by John Walenga, as senior headman.
"This was just a pure officially confirmation of Nangolo into his homestead at Onambango village and it was not an appointment of him becoming the successor, because King Elifas had already long ago appointed him as his successor," Asino said.
Asino said King Elifas was flown to Windhoek to see his doctor for a routine medical check-up.
"This was not [true] that he was seriously sick and was immediately admitted to the Medi-Clinic hospital as we heard. The king just went for his routine check-up."
In the meantime, The Namibian has learnt that Ongandjera King Jafet Munkundi is ill and is being treated in a Windhoek hospital.