In outlining their goals for agriculture, then candidate Atta Mills and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) pledged to initiate certain actions to catalyse the revival of the poultry and fishing sub-sectors of the agric sector.
For the Poultry and other Livestock sub-sector, the promise was to:
- Use tariff and non-tariff barriers to give local poultry support on the local market: ?The poultry industry is near collapse. We want to reverse this trend. We are going to impose tariffs and duties on imported poultry products and this can be done in accordance with WTO [World Trade Organisation] rules.?
- Increase cultivation of feed to reduce producer costs: ?We will also reduce the cost of poultry feed and finally help poultry farmers reactivate their businesses.?
- Establish a poultry sub-sector fund.
- Support the large-scale breeding and production of guinea fowls.
- Assist other livestock farmers to increase scales of production.
For Fisheries, a Mills-led administration will:
- Improve fish stocks through education and enforcement by an equipped Navy.
- Reduce post-harvest losses: increase storage, processing, freezers and ice facilities.
- Support fish-farming in inland water bodies: complete stump removal, expand fish hatcheries to produce fingerlings, create Fisheries College to train and assist farmers.
- Support and train Fish Farmers Associations.
- Correct the quality and management problems of pre-mix fuel.
- Reserve a 200-mile exclusive economic zone for purposes of conservation.