Traders at the Central Market in Kumasi, yesterday, came under another scourge, after a fresh fire outbreak engulfed parts of the market, burning stores and destroying properties running into thousands of cedis.
The fire outbreak, which is the second in less than four days, occurred at the main entrance of the market, around 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday.
Goods such as clothes, plastic, and other household items were completely burnt after the fire gutted five different container stores in the market.
Swift response from personnel of the Ghana Fire Service prevented what could have been yet another major fire disaster, coming on the heels of the most recent, which occurred on Sunday night, where valuable items were completely destroyed by the inferno.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but eyewitness suspected the fire must have started from faulty electric wiring within the market.
When The Chronicle arrived at the scene, fire service personnel had managed to douse the flames, and were busily assessing the extent of damage, whilst the affected traders picked the debris of their burnt items.