New Vision (Kampala)

29 April 2012

Uganda: Anaemia On the Rise Among Kids - Unicef Report

A new global report indicates that anaemia among Ugandan adolescents is severe and has reached a threshold where it should be considered a national public health issue.

The 10th edition of "UNICEF's Progress for Children" report states that 33% of adolescents are 'mildly anaemic' and 10% 'moderately anaemic', bringing the total to 43%.

According to the medical dictionary, anaemia is a condition of having a lower-than-normal number of red blood cells or quantity of hemoglobin.

The disease diminishes the capacity of the blood to carry oxygen. The report says the disease increases the maternal risk of haemorrhage and sepsis during childbirth. Women and young children are most vulnerable to anaemia due to insufficient iron in their diets.

The report is based on whether world leaders have kept the promise they made in 2000 to help children achieve their potential. Children who were born in the milestone year, when Millenium Development Goals were declared, are now adolescents.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 New Vision. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.