Leaders in South Rift have given the government up to July 31 to resettle the families that were evicted from Mau Forest or risk mass action. At a stormy meeting in Kipkelion and attended by Roads minister Franklin Bett, assistant ministers Magerer Lang'at and Beatrice Kones, the three accused the government of discriminating against the families in favour of the 2007/8 post-election violence victims. "Those evicted from Chemusian in Mau were ferried to Eldoret and left in tents without food and other necessities while those who were uprooted from their homes during the political violence have been resettled after getting alternative land bought for them by the government," they said.
Bett said regardless of what happened those flashed from Mau should be accorded the same treatment just like those evicted during the post election violence "The government should not show partiality when dealing with the matter," said Bett. He said those evicted during the post election violence had land before the violence struck off and they should be taken back to where they were before instead of the government looking for alternative settlement elsewhere.
The Bureti Member of parliament said the government had bought land for the political evictees at Sh600,000 per acre but was not willing to buy land of the same value to those flashed out from Mau forest Magerer Langat said already Sh13 billion had been spent to resettle the post election violence evictees yet Sh1 billion released by treasury for Mau evictees had not been put into the intended purpose. During the meeting attended by over 150 civic leaders from both Kericho and Bomet counties speakers called on Members of parliament to back Ronald Ngeny in his bid of being a member of the East African Legistrative Assembly when voting comes before the house today.