If there is one thing that Charles Oputa, also known as Charlyboy is known for, it is his silence over people's opinion of his personality brand. He hardly takes up court cases against publishers and publishing companies for any kind of story speculated about him or his brand. However, one is shocked at his action in redressing the latest gay story syndicated in newspapers and social media across the country.
It would be recalled that National Mirror, Daily Independent as well as other newspapers had on Saturday, 26th May circulated a story that Charlyboy, in an interview admitted to being gay and leader of Nigerian Illuminati. According to him, the story was circulated by one 'Danfo Newspaper.' This news was all over the internet for over two days but was later confirmed to be false by Charlyboy, even as he opined that he never granted such interview.
Charlyboy, who had on Monday morning declared on twitter that he would be suing for the malicious news formulated to dent his image by the National Mirror and Daily Independent, said "I read with total dismay in Saturday Mirror newspaper that I am gay and head of Illuminati... I have never sued before...but this time...." he didn't complete his statement.
The statement that generated a lot of comment from his curious fans and followers on twitter and other social media was immediately followed by a release from his press Secretary, Adoyi Abah Ali who had exclusively told journalists that his boss was filling for libel.
It was gathered that Adoyi had earlier in the day written to the Publisher of National Mirror Steve Ayorinde, drawing his attention to the said publication. In the letter tagged "Re-I'm Gay- Charlyboy" Adoyi had blamed Steve for allowing such story to be used under his watch considering his experience in journalism. He had asserted that the brand managers would ensure that National Mirror and its allies are punished for stating an opinion as though it was a fact.
"On our own part, we cannot control people's opinion in a matter such as this, but to have come out to state categorically that Charlyboy granted an interview in relation to this issue is not only scandalous, but 'human slaughter'.
Your paper has gone beyond the boundaries, and would have to answer some basic questions as to how this story got to it. At the moment, one can only believe that Charlyboy's interview is presently on tape and on your desk as claimed."
In a related development, Charlyboy's Attorneys led by renowned entertainment and radical lawyer, Barrister Ope Banwo have written to both National Mirror and Daily Independent demanding a retraction of the said story within the next 72 hours or face the consequence of the law.
The attorneys who said the story was a clear case of deliberate and malicious attempt to malign and injure the reputation of his client, Charles Oputa, known as Charlyboy among all reasonable people in the industry and the society at large, just as he said National Mirror and Daily Independent must retract the story before the expiration of 72 hours.
"Please take further note that should your organisation refuse to accept responsibility and show sincere remorse by publishing acceptable retraction as demanded above within the time allowed, we would be seeking N1, 000, 000, 000.00 (One Billion Naira Only) in damages for malicious libel against your editors, writers and the Newspaper jointly and severally."
It is our hope that you will demonstrate sufficient remorse over this grave error and endeavour to convince our client that your malicious publication against him was not a deliberate pre-conceived attempt to destroy our client's reputation and career by complying with the demands above within the time given. You are advised to allow reasons to prevail as you already know that our client is fully and well prepared to fight this just cause to a positive conclusion.