The Rwanda National Police calls upon the general public to be more vigilant to avoid fire accidents, saying that a little cautiousness can avert fire out breaks.
The call comes following a fire accident which consumed a shop in Kangondo II, Nyarutarama cell in Remera sector due to a short circuit.
According to local authorities, the shop belonging to one Emmanuel Kuradusenge caught fire on Tuesday June 12, at around 1400hrs.
Sixteen mattresses and several other merchandise all valued at approximately Rwf1 million were destroyed.
Police together with locals managed toextinguishthe fire which looked unstoppable thanks to the quick intervention of Fire and Rescue Brigade Unit.
Superintendent Bertin Mutezintare the Commanding Officer of Fire and Rescue Brigade Unit urges citizens, particularly the business operators to always avoid anything that may lead to fire accidents.
Mutezintare noted the need for proper arrangement of merchandise in shops. "Mattresses should be properly arranged in a way that electric wires don't pass through them". He said.
He further called on citizens to uphold the culture of partnering with security organs in case such incidents occur.
Three month ago, another shop in Kacyiru sector was reported to have been gutted by fire and merchandize worth Rwf6 million was consumed. Similarly, Police intervened, managed to put off the fire and salvaged several items.
Rwanda National Police believes such accidents can be prevented when citizens get to realize the need to be vigilant.