18 June 2012

Zimbabwe: Chombo Appoints Kanyekanye Special Interest Councillor

Local Government, Rural and Urban Development Minister Ignatius Chombo has appointed Allied Timbers group chief executive Dr Joseph Kanyekanye as a special interest councillor for Harare.

He replaces Mr Charles Nyachowe who resigned recently to pursue other interests.

Dr Kanyekanye who is the outgoing Confederation of Zimbabwe Industry president brings a wealth of business experience to council.

Mayor Muchadeyi Masunda has often complained that Minister Chombo was not seconding competent persons to complement the skills of the elected councillors.

Minister Chombo made the appointment on June 14.

"I have pleasure of appointing you as a special interest councillor for Harare City Council . . . As appointed councillor, you shall participate in the business of Harare

City Council and perform the same functions and be entitled to the same benefits in every respect as if you are an elected councillor, except that you shall not vote in meetings of Harare City Council," he said.

Dr Kanyekanye joins 10 other special interest councillors in Harare.

The Minister has undertaken to replace non performing special interest councillors.

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.