20 June 2012

Egypt: Ex-MP Files Lawsuit Against Constitutional Court

Head of the Constitutional and Legislative Committee of the dissolved parliament, Mahmoud al-Khudairi, filed a lawsuit against the Supreme Constitutional Court for ruling to dissolve the parliament.

The Supreme Constitutional Court declared the parliamentary election law unconstitutional on Thursday, June 14, leading to its dissolution.

"The Constitutional Court should have stepped aside from ruling in the parliamentary election law due to the conflict between Farouk Sultan - head of the Constitutional Court and the Presidential Elections Committee - and the parliament", Khudairi told Aswat Masriya.

The parliament's People's Assembly (lower house) had tried to pass a law to amend the makeup of the Constitutional Court and the Presidential Elections Committee through forbidding Mubarak's old guards from holding high governmental posts for 10 years upon the election of a president. The court stroke down the law in agreement with the ruling military council's Constitutional Declaration.

Khudairi added that he will also file a lawsuit to halt the ruling military council's decision to dissolve the elected Islamist-led parliament.

Copyright © 2012 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.