AS Zambians await the FIFA verdict over Sudan's use of an ineligible player in the 2014 World Cup qualifier, the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) has assured the nation that Football House lodged its protest within the stipulated time in accordance with the governing regulations.
In allaying fears that the Football House could have presented its complaint late, FAZ vice-president Boniface Mwamelo said immediately the anomaly was dictated, the association's secretariat was alerted and advised to lodge in a protest with the world governing body, FIFA.
Mwamelo said in an interview in Lusaka yesterday that FAZ general secretary George Kasengele confirmed that the secretariat had submitted the complaint within the time stipulated by FIFA regulations.
He said by the time the issue was brought into public domain, FAZ had already lodged in its complaint over Sudan's use of Saif Ali Eldin Adris, who was red-carded at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, in the June 2 match.
Mwamelo said FAZ was cautiously optimistic that it presented a good case with FIFA but would leave it to the world governing body's disciplinary committee to adjudicate over the matter.
Adris was sent off in Sudan's last competitive match - the 2012 AFCON quarter-final match against Zambia - but the North Africans opted to use him in their next game on June 2.
Sudan won the 2014 World Cup Group D qualifier 2-0 in Omdurman with Adris scoring and featuring for 90 minutes.
But the Sudan Football Association (SFA) called Zambia's decision to protest to FIFA over the eligibility of Adris in the 2014 World Cup qualifier as an act of desperation.
SFA president, Mutasim Gaafar told the Sudanese media that the complaint by FAZ was ineffective, not proper and a desperate act because it was allegedly done many days after the game.
Gaafar said if Zambia wanted to complain properly, they could have done so before the June 2 match or at least 48 hours after the tie which Sudan won 2-0.
However, SFA vice-president, Ahmed Tarifi said he would bear the responsibility of the problem caused if the world governing body, FIFA punishes Sudan over the use of Adris.
Tarifi told Supersport that he would bear the responsibility and also resign from SFA.
The SFA board held a long meeting at their headquarters about the problem and Tarifi told them that he would sack himself and they accepted that for now.
FIFA has indicated that it needs a bit of time and receive more information before making a decision over the matter.
Sudan are hoping that FIFA only slap them with a fine and not dock them points. If found guilty, Sudan would forfeit the match points and considered to have lost 3-0 and also pay a minimum fine of 6,000 Swiss Francs.