TWO Iranians arrested on suspicions of planning a terror attack were yesterday charged with being in possession of explosive materials. Ahmed Mohammed and Sayeed Mansour are said to have been armed with 15 kilogrammes of RDX explosives meant to cause grievous harm. It is alleged that on June 20 at the Mombasa Golf Course on Mama Ngina Drive, they were found with the explosives under circumstances that indicated they intended to commit a felony.
The two, who did not have any legal representation, denied the charges before principal magistrate Paul Biwott. They had been arraigned in court early morning but could not take plea owing to language barrier. The court had to seek the services of a Persian interpreter for the charges to be read out to them. Ahmed told the court he is innocent and his only mistake was to witness something that he did not take part in. He argued that he is a heart patient and needs medical attention and keeping him in prison would jeopardize his health.
However, the prosecution objected to their release on bond, arguing that they do not have any fixed aboard and therefore they would be a flight risk. It urged the court to have them remanded in police custody for the next five days pending further investigations into the case. An affidavit sworn by sergeant Kenneth Musyoki also states that they would not know where to trace the suspects in case they were released on bond.
But the court give the prosecution two days, arguing that the suspects have been in custody since June 19. The court will on Wednesday morning rule on whether they shall be released on bond. The two have been in remanded at the Inland Container Depot and the Kileleshwa police stations respectively.