Dodoma — THE government plans to recall retired doctors and use several 'willing' hospitals, including the Lugalo Military Hospital, at this time when the medics are on strike.
The Prime Minister, Mr Mizengo Pinda, was responding to a question by the Leader of the Official Opposition in the House, Mr Freeman Mbowe, who sought to know contingency measures taken by the government to save the lives of the people in the wake of the strike.
Mr Mbowe had shown concern over the fate of patients after medical staff at a number of hospitals, including Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH), Mbeya Referral Hospital Bugando Medical Centre and Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC) went on strike, causing widespread panic and confusion.
The prime minister told the House that the government has already held talks with authorities in a number of medical institutions on the provision of medical services in case the strike persisted.
Meanwhile, the government has withheld its intended ultimatum on the striking doctors to resume duties yesterday as the matter has already landed in a court of law.
"The government sees it wise to respect the judiciary. It would be interfering into a matter that is already in the court; it would be a sign of disrespect. Let the court do its work," Mr Pinda said.
The government had earlier promised to issue its stand on the strike.The prime minister also cleared the air on the confusion and controversial statements that led the government to issue its stand on the strike and alleged beating of Dr Ulimboka Stephen on Wednesday.
Mr Pinda showed concern on the attempt by some quarters to link his statement with the attack. He insisted that the government had no hand in the incident and was going to thoroughly investigate the matter to establish the identity of the culprits.