Katsina — Fifty four persons, mostly children, have been hospitalized in Kankara General Hospital in Katsina State over food poisoning but later discharged, it was learnt. The victims are from Gatakawa village in Kankara local government area.
Daily Trust gathered that the victims were said to have eaten beans-cake that was prepared with sterilized beans meant for planting.
The beans had been mixed with chemicals and prepared to be used as seeds but a local beans-cake maker bought and prepared the beans-cake for sale.
Joshua Danjuma, Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) of Kankara General Hospital, who confirmed the incident, said no death was recorded.
Danjuma said all the victims survived the tragedy after a series of medications, saying they were admitted in the hospital at the stage of compulsion.
"The victims comprising school children and adults. They were brought to the hospital unconscious with most of them vomiting and excreting some substances", he said.
The Primary Health Care Coordinator of Kanakara local government, Alhaji Sani Kusada, said the victims were supported with drugs and other items needed to contain the situation.