Capital FM (Nairobi)

Kenya: We Will Hunt You Down, Kibaki Tells Al Shabaab

Photo: Capital FM
A bomb explosion on Nairobi's Moi Avenue injured more than 40 people, prompting renewed concerns about terrorism.

Nairobi — President Mwai Kibaki vowed on Thursday that the government would hunt down all its enemies and stop at nothing to ensure the country's security is safeguarded.

The Head of State said his government has mobilised all the necessary resources and manpower to hunt down terrorist groups and criminal gangs destabilising the country.

President Mwai Kibaki announced that his government will stop at nothing to ensure the country's security is safeguarded and vowed the war on Al Shabaab militants in Somalia will continue.

"We will not relent in the pursuit of the country's enemies," he pledged as he opened the Nakuru Agricultural Show.

Acting Internal Security Minister Yusuf Haji had announced Thursday that more vehicles and extra officers had been deployed to North Eastern Province which has become the worst hit by terrorists lately.

Emphasising that peace and security remained key ingredients of the country's development agenda, the Head of State asserted that the government will do everything possible to safeguard citizens and their property.

"We will not be intimidated by terror attacks on innocent civilians aimed at spreading fear and panic," he said.

Stressing that the war the country's defense forces embarked on targeted agents of terror, President Kibaki appealed to Kenyans to work closely with the government and guard against being divided along religious lines.

On Sunday, 17 people were killed in twin attacks at the AIC and Catholic Churches in Garissa, in what is blamed on Al Shabaab militants who have already claimed responsibility.

Said the President, "We will complete the work we began in stabilising the neighbouring state of Somalia. We owe it to ourselves and the people of Somalia."

Kenya sent its troops and tanks into Somalia last October to push the militants deep inside Somalia after a series of kidnappings of both locals and foreigners from Kenyan soil.

The Kenyan forces have since been re-hatted into the African Union mission (AMISOM) and are advancing towards the port of Kismayu, a key stronghold of the militants.

On Thursday, Kenya signed a protocol with the Sierra Leonian government on ways of cooperating in the Somalia war at Sector II in Southern Somalia.

The formal re-hatting exercise will be carried out on Friday at the Kenyan Defense forces headquarters in Nairobi and will be attended by all military chiefs from AMISOM countries.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Capital FM. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Tackling Rising Insecurity in Kenya

A bomb explosion on Nairobi's Moi Avenue injured more than 40 people, prompting renewed concerns about terrorism.

A spate of terrorist attacks on civilians has left Kenyans reeling and has led experts to conclude that arms proliferation, intelligence and state security must be addressed to ... Read more »