Juba — At least 16 people are reported to have been killed and several injured in a conflict between two ethnic groups in Cueibet county of South Sudan's Lakes state on Saturday, local officials and state authorities said on Sunday.
An anonymous medical professional said several of the victims are in a critical condition in Rumbek Civil Hospital. He said all the injuries were inflicted by firearms and that this "is indeed a bad precedent for independence celebrations [9 July]. We expect our people to celebrate it peacefully."
The state minister of information, Charles Mayen, confirmed the incident to Sudan Tribune adding that he is still "assembling details" of the clash but that the security situation had been "brought under control" by the security forces. He was in attendance in Cueibet county when the violence broke out.
He attributed the incident to a long-running dispute between two factions of the Gok ethinc group in which people continue to be killed in revenge attacks.