LORD Nicholas Monson has described as "plainly ludicrous" the police report into the death of his son Alexander Monson at Diani Beach in May. The report prepared by CID investigation director Mohammed Amin confirmed that Alexander died from increased pressure in his skull following a blow to the head, but then admitted they did not know how, where or when he was hit, or by who.
The Star exclusively released details of the report on Tuesday. The report was submitted to Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko on June 19 with a recommendation that there be a public inquest into Monson's death. Lord Monson, through spokesperson George Thwaites of Clearwood Communications in London, demanded a murder inquiry instead.
"We strongly disagree with Mr Amin's final statement that in his opinion 'the circumstances surrounding the death of the deceased (Alexander) can best be determined by a public inquest," he said. "What must be conducted instead is a murder inquiry which must be opened immediately and the suspects who were responsible for Alexander at the time of his incarceration must be arrested, charged and tried in a court of law," said Lord Monson. "If the Kenyan police authorities do not have the stomach to investigate themselves, the case should be handed to another body which does not have existing relationships with the culprits. A body that is both independent and fearless in its pursuit of the law," said Lord Monson.
Lord Monson and his family have maintained that Alexander was assaulted while under arrest and that injuries brought on by blows to the head caused a brain haemorrhage. "In the face of global scepticism about the credibility of the Kenyan police authorities, we stood back to allow a full and thorough investigation," Lord Monson, 57, also told the Daily Telegraph in London. "Yet [Mr Amin's] report states he has absolutely no idea how Alexander died."
Monson, 28 years, was arrested on suspicion of smoking bhang after a night out with friends in Diani where he lived with his mother, Hilary, 58. "The report concedes and reconfirms... that Alexander was killed by blunt force trauma," Lord Monson said. "We have said from the very beginning that Alexander was brutally killed in police custody. Mr Amin's report only serves to reinforce our view. And yet not a single arrest has been made." "This is a setback for us but it is not the end of the road," Lord Monson said.
The family lawyer in Kenya, Nishit Maru, yesterday said that they are waiting to hear from the Director of Public Prosecutions before proceeding. Alexander's mother Hilary Martin said she was upset by the report but they will continue pursuing the matter through the law. Last week, Hilary expressed fears that unknown people were trying to cover up Alexander's death after five people claiming to be policemen came to the family home in Ukunda looking for a stolen iPad. She told the Star that they have concrete evidence that her son was killed.