Abuja — President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday directed an end to the state of emergency declared last year, in 15 local government over the deteriorating security situation in the areas.
The directive is contained in a statement issued by Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Mohammed Adoke, a copy of which was made available in Abuja.
Adoke said government decided to end the emergency rule, with immediate effect, following a careful review of the security situation in the affected areas.
He said the step would also enable government to put in place appropriate confidence building measures to improve security in the affected areas.
Adoke said that with the end of emergency rule, the appropriate authorities at the local and state government levels should be responsible for the maintenance of security, law and order in the affected areas.
The minister said the President directed an end to the emergency powers on restriction order, reporting of persons, detention of persons, processions, meetings and curfew.
He said government would continue to work with relevant stakeholders to ensure security in the country and called for the cooperation of all Nigerians.
NAN recalls that on Dec. 31, 2011, Jonathan declared a state of emergency in some troubled parts of Borno, Yobe, Plateau and Niger states.
The affected LGAs in Borno were Maiduguri Metropolitan, Gamboru Ngala, Banki Bama, Biu and Jere, while those in Yobe were Damaturu, Geidam, Potiskum, Buniyadi-Gujba and Gasua-Bade.
Those affected in Plateau were Jos North, Jos South, Barkin-Ladi and Riyom, while only Suleja LGA was affected in Niger.
The president acted on the power conferred on him by Section 305 (1) of the 1999 Constitution, and his proclamation was approved by the National Assembly for an initial period of six months.
Jonathan had said then that the action became imperative to restore normalcy in the country, especially within the affected communities.