Zanzibar — THE death toll in last week's MV Skagit boat accident in Zanzibar reached 94, after 16 more bodies were recovered in different parts of Unguja Island and Bagamoyo in Coast Region.
Minister of State in Zanzibar Second Vice-President's Office, Mr Mohamed Aboud Mohamed, told journalists that 11 bodies were recovered along shores on Unguja and five were found in Bagamoyo.
"Bodies that were recovered along shores in Bagamoyo will be buried at the area," the minister explained.Earlier, the Zanzibar Police Force spokesperson, Inspector Mohamed Mhina, said 11 bodies that were recovered in Zanzibar were buried in one area in the outskirts of Zanzibar town.
He said the burial was supervised by the Tanzania People's Defence Forces (TPDF), the Police Force, KMKM, Jeshi Kujenga Uchumi (JKU) and volunteers.
"In Zanzibar the bodies were recovered at Pungume, Fumba, Chumbe Isles and along Funguyasini shore in Unguja," Inspector Mhina explained.
Meanwhile, Issa Yusuf reports from Zanzibar that individuals, firms and agencies have so far donated 320m/- to the disaster funds, Minister Mohamed said.
"Several people, private institutions, public institutions and international organisations have sent condolence messages and funds to Zanzibaris. We thank them," Mohammed said when briefing legislators about the sunken Mv Skagit last Wednesday, killing at least 94 people.
The China Consular General in Zanzibar Ms Chin Limun has been among the latest people to convey condolence and donation to Zanzibaris, as she promised that her country will continue supporting the islands' development.
Ms Chin and a representative from China Railway Jiang Chang Engineering Company Limited and Beijing Construction Engineering Group, handed over 5m/- each, to the Second Vice-President Ambassador Seif Ali Iddi.
European Union (EU) Director for Africa and Caribbean Ms Fransisca Mosca also met Ambassador Iddi to convey her condolence, saying "EU is together with Zanzibaris at this time of grief."