Several properties including a residence have been gutted in a fire incident in the New Deido neighbourhood in Douala. Originating from the house's kitchen during a cooking session last Saturday afternoon, the fire trickled in through the roofs of one of the rooms of the two-room block house.
Rescue efforts by inhabitants and neighbours however rudimentary only prevented the fire from crossing over to nearby homes. Buckets of water and sand primarily employed to put out the fire were fruitless. The house and kitchen were completely burnt to ashes. Fire fighters, reportedly faced with communication and other difficulties, arrived the scene shortly after the damage was complete.