The Executive Council, Senior Management and staff of the Integrated Social Development Centre (ISODEC) have received with great shock the news of the passing away of the President of Ghana, His Excellency President Professor John Evans Atta Mills. Africa has indeed lost a great leader; civil society has lost a great pillar, and we are poorer by his demise.
While acknowledging all the niceties many have showered on him, Civil Society, and indeed, ISODEC will remember him for supporting Civil Society during his days in opposition; and his desire and support to ensure that many bills in Parliament were beneficial to citizens.
His deep desire for social justice, transparency and accountability led to a withdrawal of some Petroleum Sector bills from Parliament, upon assuming office as President of Ghana, and for new bills with much citizen input to be laid in the House. It is on record that more than 70% of Civil Society suggestions were incorporated into the Revenue Management Law.
His Excellency John Atta Mills' administration was one which Civil Society engaged with on practically all aspects of governance within Ghana. ISODEC applauds his vision and boldness in supporting the review of the 1992 Constitution.
We are highly optimistic that once about 90% of the Constitutional Commission's report has been approved through Government White Paper, the other 10% will be discussed with all stakeholders, agreed upon, approved and laid before Parliament.
We take this opportunity to call attention to the need for synergy to be built by our leaders for a long-term development agenda, which will enable a pro-poor, equitable, inclusive, sustainable development. We hope that such an agenda will be consolidated into a pro-poor and pro-growth political settlement, now that all politicians seem to be observing some unwritten protocol on political conduct.
This, ISODEC believes, will ensure a long term sustainable development agenda for all Ghanaians.
As a father for all, Asomdwehene, unifier and leader of Ghana, we at ISODEC will never forget you. Prof, all we pray for is that the Good Lord gives us someone who is one of us, who will allow the rule of law to work and will ensure sustainable economic justice within Ghana.
We express our condolences to the First Lady, Mrs Naadu Mills, the family and all Ghanaians.
May the Lord give you a place of eternal rest. Prof due; due ne Amanehunu
May your soul rest in well deserved peace.