The Communication Commission of Kenya has said it will not extend the time given to users of counterfeit handsets to acquire genuine ones when the grace period ends on September 30. The regulator warned users who might expect another extension that all systems are ready and it is working with mobile operators to cut them off after the deadline.
CCK has on several occasions since September last year postponed the switch off and it remains to be seen if it will stick to its word this time. "The switch-off date remains as scheduled. There is no compelling reason that warrants extension because careful consideration has been given to all technical issues raised in the past," said CCK acting Director General, Francis Wangusi.
"The campaign was planned accordingly in order to inform consumers of the need to verify whether their phones were genuine or counterfeit ahead of the switch-off," he said about the ongoing campaign urging users to confirm whether their International Mobile Equipment Identity ( IMEI) number is genuine or counterfeit.
Wangusi said all the mobile phone operators will be sending warning messages to counterfeit handsets users before the switch-off date. "The operators have been part of the arrangements with regard to the campaign and whole issue of counterfeit phone use on the networks. They have been equally instrumental in identifying the suspected counterfeit handsets on the networks," According to CCK estimation close to 3 million mobile phones (about 10 per cent ) in the Kenyan market are counterfeit.