The U.S. Mission is soliciting proposals to promote LGTBI (lesbian/gay/transsexual/bisexual/intersex) rights in South Africa. Proposals up to $25,000 will be considered.
Funding should be used to help LGBTI persons gain access to justice in event of homophobic violence, intimidation, and discrimination or to work to prevent homophobic violence, intimidation, and discrimination. Examples of possible programs include:
- Training workshops for working level government officials who are in direct contact with LGBTI victims
- Facilitating partnerships between LGBTI rights advocacy organizations and government
- Information campaigns for LGBTI community to make them aware government services
- Research on the quality of government services and strengths/gaps assessments
- Public awareness campaigns
Funding is not limited to these examples, and organizations are encouraged to propose other activities following similar themes. Programs may focus on particular communities, regions or be country-wide. Organizations should provide a one-page executive summary, a 2-3 page proposal, timeline and a budget showing costs per relevant category (e.g. travel, honoraria, training materials, etc.)