Leadership (Abuja)

30 August 2012

Nigeria: Why Nigeria Has Priority Status in Visa Processing - U.S. Embassy

Photo: NAN
U.S. visa

The surge in visa applications to the United States by Nigerians in 2012 has led the US to tag Nigeria a visa priority country.

This was disclosed yesterday in Abuja by the Consular Officer in the US Embassy Abuja, Mrs Patty Neary, at the embassy's monthly media briefing.

Neary said that the US visa offices in Abuja and Lagos have processed over 40,000 visa applications already in the 2012 fiscal year, which is an 11 per cent increase over 2011.

She said, "Approximately, 75 per cent of these applications are tourist visas, the remaining 25 per cent are a combination of student, business and official visas."

The majority of these visa applications were granted, Neary added, but couldn't provide the number.

Since visa demand is increasing in Nigeria, Neary said that the consular office had made it its top priority to reduce the visa wait time which is currently six months.

This, she said, had led to the three consular officers in Abuja working long hours and on some Saturdays.

On how visa applicants can optimise the consular's services, Neary said, "We need people to prepare and plan ahead."

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigeria Becomes Priority in America Visa Processing

U.S. visa

The United States has listed Nigeria, Brazil and China as priority nations on its visa application following a surge in consular demands. Read more »