Bor — Kuol Deim Kuol the South Sudanese Army General responsible for the civilian disarmament process in has joined the military's criticism of recent human rights reports published by the UN mission in the young nation and Human Rights Watch.
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS)'s report stated that some SPLA soldiers tortured, raped, and killed of civilians in Pibor County. The report also pointed to the apparent marginalisation and discriminiation against the minority community Murle.
Speaking to Sudan Tribune on Sunday Lt General Deim described the UNMISS report as "one sided", neglecting the "SPLA side of the story".
"These allegations labeled against the SPLA are not accurate. The allegations are properly investigated", he said.
After studying the UN report published on 26 June 2012, Deim said there were factual inaccuracies in the report, citing the example of the case of Paramount Chief in Buma payam [districts], Baba Majong, who was shot an SPLA sergeant, who was also the driver to the chief.
General Deim said the the report has said the culprit was sentenced to only one month imprisonment but in fact military court has not yet announced the verdict of the case, which also needs to be approved from President Salve Kiir.
The SPLA and government of South Sudan arranged for Chief Majong to be taken to Nairobi for treatment "and now he is alive", said Deim.
"This [is] wrong. This is in fact is going to the level of inciting the Murle against the SPLA", he said.
He said that "even criminals who were killed while raiding other communities" were included in the "long list of civilians killed by SPLA".
The Jonglei disarmament campaign was launched By President Kiir earlier this year after serious clashes between the Murle and the Luo Nuer ethnic groups in 2011 and early 2012.