SAnews.gov.za (Tshwane)

2 September 2012

South Africa: Govt to Support Families of Marikana Victims Without Discrimination

Pretoria — Government has taken a decision to support all the families of the 44 people who died in the Marikana tragedy without discrimination, says Minister in the Presidency, Collins Chabane.

The Inter-Ministerial Committee on the Marikana tragedy, which is led by Chabane, attended funerals held for the victims of the Marikana tragedy on Saturday. Many of them took place in the Eastern Cape as well as Lesotho and Swaziland.

The Minister in the Presidency responsible for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation attended the funeral of Themba Gwelani at Makhwaleni in Lusikisiki in the Eastern Cape. He was welcomed by members of the Gwelani family and the mourners, who were gathered at the funeral.

In his message to the family, Chabane expressed condolences on behalf of President Jacob Zuma, Government and the people of South Africa to the family.

"Gwelani was not an employee of Lonmin mine. However, his family was still expecting a lot from him, we are with the family and this community in your loss and we will do whatever possible to ensure that support is provided to the family in Gwelani's absence," said Chabane, who was accompanied by the Speaker of Inquza Hill Municipality Dumisani Mjokovana.

Government provided the necessities as required by families towards arrangement of the funerals and social workers were on hand to provide counselling and social support.

Addressing the mourners, Chief Mpendulo Jiba of Makhwaleni expressed appreciation for the presence of government at all three funerals that took place in Lusikisiki and across various places in the Eastern Cape.

He further thanked President Zuma for the assistance government was providing during this trying time and the way officials had conducted themselves during this period.

Minister of State Security Siyabonga Cwele also attended a funeral in Lusikisiki and Minister of Social Development Bathabile Dlamini attended the funerals that took place in Matatiele in the Eastern Cape.

Government representatives from provinces of Mpumalanga, Free State, Eastern Cape and North West and local government also represented government in 31 other funerals that took place on Saturday.

Minister of Health Dr Aaron Motswaledi visited some of the bereaved families in Lesotho on Friday to express condolences of the South African government to the families, government and the people of the Kingdom of Lesotho.

Government has so far issued 43 death certificates to families for burials to take place and social workers continue to provide counselling to the affected families.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 SAnews.gov.za. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.