President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has commissioned an independent body to conduct a comprehensive review of the policies and procedures regarding the issuance of Private Use Permits (PUPs), in keeping with recommendations of the Board of Directors of the Forestry Development Authority (FDA).
Those appointed to the Special Independent Investigative Body include:
1. Mr. James Dorbor Jallah – Chair
2. Ms. Diasmer Panna Bloe
3. Father James Sellee
4. Civil Society Organization: Mr. Thomas Doe Nah (CENTAL)
5. Association of Female Lawyers of Liberia: Cllr. Felicia Coleman
6. Ministry of Justice: Atty. Kou Dorliae
7. USAID (U.S. Forest Service)
9. EU (European Forestry Institute)
Additionally, the President has approved the Board’s recommendations for the export of logs at the port by the four (4) concessions that were approved for PUPs in February 2012 and have settled their tax obligations. However, the moratorium on exports will remain in place for all other logs pending the report of the Special Independent Investigative Body.
Meanwhile, President Sirleaf has suspended, without pay, the Managing Director of the Forestry Development Authority, Mr. Moses Wogbeh, and appointed Mr. Harrison S. Karnwea to serve as interim Managing Director, pending the report of the Special Independent Investigative Body.