Police arrested 80 more rank marshals in Harare over the weekend as the crackdown on touts to restore sanity at ranks continues. Yesterday's arrests bring to 546 the number of touts arrested so far. Harare provincial police spokesperson Chief Inspector James Sabau said the crackdown was continuing until there was sanity in the city.
He said the marshals were still going through a vetting process.
"We have also resorted to taking their finger prints and we are sending them to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for further verification process," he said.
Chief Insp Sabau said some of those who were arrested this week were released after paying admission of guilt fines.
He said police were still checking their fingerprints for any criminal records or pending cases at the courts. Chief Insp Sabau reiterated that they wanted people to move freely without any hassles.
"The situation is normal and people are appreciating," he said.
He said police would continue to be deployed and ensure that sanity prevailed.
On Thursday, police arrested 158 more rank marshals as Local Government, Rural and Urban Development Minister Ignatius Chombo lashed out at City Fathers for failing to take charge of the terminuses.
Normalcy has returned in the city.