No bodies were found in two sites that had been suspected to be mass graves in Tana Delta. The sites were dug out after claims that bodies had been buried there following the deadly conflicts in Tana Delta. The exercise at Ozi village was led by Dr Mbuuko Ngali, from Coast General hospital and his assistant Dr Irene Muramba.
About 100 security officers had been camping at the site since claims were made that there could be bodies buried in the two sites Although no body was retrieved from the sites, the officers maintained that they will stay put in the area, until they are sure there are no mass graves.
The senior Assistant Police Commissioner of GSU Antony Kamitu, who is incharge of the operations, said they suspect that after the Kilelengwani attacks, casualties from the militia gang were buried at the site, but said they suspect that the bodies were moved, when GSU were not there on guard.
"We suspect that the militia gang came and took them to another area, or dumped them in River Tana, which is less than 40 metres from this place," Kamitu said. One of the alleged graves, which measured around 8x8x5metres, had four chambers, which meant that if indeed human beings were buried there, they were lying side by side, due to the narrowness.
The second grave, which was much smaller and measured about 4x6, did not have anything. "We shall still comb this area to ensure that we find out the militia, who we believe have taken refuge in the area," said Kamitu. The security officers left Garsen and joined their counterparts at around 6am, as they waited for the pathologists to arrive.
Kamitu also revealed that four people were arrested in Kipini forest, on allegations that they were part of a group conducting illegal training. He further said the assistant chief of Ozi village, Ali Komora, who is one of the suspects being held, told them that two bodies had been buried
But the chief said that on September 10th at around 1pm, he received information that Kilelengwani area was being burnt, but after the incident, no one came to report anything to him, prompting him to conduct his own investigations.
Speaking from his custody, the chief said he saw a group of more than 30 people, whom he trailed from behind, as they walked towards a nearby river, but he feared to follow them and instead, saw them from a distance.
This, he said, was reported to the area DO. Police however maintain that the assistant chief is being treated as a suspect and they accuse him of coordinating the attacks. Locals in the village say the area had not been secured, despite the discovery, until word went round over the possibility of the graves, with the security agents beginning to mann the area from Wednesday.
At the same time, a resident in the area has surrendered an AK 47 Rifle, and a bullet, but the police weapons that were stolen from among those who were killed, are yet to be recovered.