27 September 2012

Zimbabwe: Quelaton Shock Monoz

QUELATON collected only their third victory in the Premiership when they upstaged Monomotapa in a lively match at Luveve yesterday. It was hard to believe that it was the same Quelaton who have been freely donating points after they fought from a goal down in the first minute to claim the three points over a team that went into the game in third place on the log and buoyed by their weekend's 3-0 win over Hwange.

Monomotapa had their noses in front after a minute through Makai Kawashu who was picked in the box by Ronald Chitiyo and his volley caught Winston Chiwetu the Quelaton goalkeeper off guard to nestle at the back of the net.

Quelaton however, had other plans as they responded two minutes later through Simba Manwere who volleyed from close range beating Jorum Muchambo in goal for the visitors.

Manwere had made a solo run from the centre line on the right flank and shook off Bright Chayambuka before unleashing a shot that was tipped over the bar by Muchambo.

But Manwere was to make sure with his volley from close range from the resultant Mhleli Sibanda corner that had created a goal mouth melee.

Mhleli, who had a great game, was to create the second goal after eight minutes when he split the visitors' defence with a pass for Timothy January who made mockery of Monoz defender Chayambuka whose game was getting nightmarish before sending a seemingly tame shot that however beat Muchambo although he had a touch to it.

The home team started enjoying themselves after going two goals up and January was to test Chayambuka's composure with some nimble moves before the bewildered defender hacked him down and referee Mlindeli Ndebele had no choice but to caution him after 12 minutes.

Monoz tried organising themselves and the visitors' striker Chitiyo had to force a good save from Chiwetu with a snapshot from outside the half at 31 minutes as they searched for the equaliser.

That foray however, reawakened the home side and they countered swiftly with January combining with Manwere before Manwere put through Innocent Kutsanzira who slotted home from inside the box to make it 3-1.

That was the last action worth talking about in the first half.

The visitors came back strongly after the interval after Chayambuka was hauled off from his hellish game and replaced by Kuda Musharu.

They could have pulled one back after 60 minutes via a fluke when Osborne Mukuradare unwittingly deflected a Charles Rukwani cross against the outside of the upright with Chiwetu beaten. The game picked up tempo inside the last 10 minutes with Kutsanzira forcing a good save from Muchambo before substitute Musharu hit the side netting with a free header.

Mukuradare however pulled another goal back for the visitors with a free header five minutes from time after another Rukwani cross.

It was however too little too late for the visitors as they were to left cursing themselves after the loss and coach Biggie Zuze said the team had squandered opportunities although he conceded that they had been slack in the first half.


Quelaton     - 3

Monomotapa    - 2

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.