The national Primary Leaving Examinations which began last Tuesday ended yesterday without any major incidents, according to Emmanuel Muvunyi, the Deputy Director General Examinations and Accreditation at the Rwanda Education Board (REB).
"The exams ended well. We have received no cases about any thing bad. There were no instances of cheating and all (pupils) who registered sat for the exam," said Muvunyi.
Heavy rains however, delayed the examination for 30 minutes in two examination centres that Muvunyi could not specify.
"It was not possible for supervisors to get the examination sheets to examination rooms as there was a heavy down pour. Candidates were also not able to get to the centres on time hence the delay," he said, without specifying the centres affected.
He further revealed that a female candidate had experienced labour pains though she managed to sit for the examination from the hospital she had been admitted to.
Some candidates who spoke to The New Times expressed optimism about their chances for success.
"I tried to answer all questions to the best of my ability. However, science was a bit complicated but I hope to be in secondary school in the next academic year," said Ritah Uwera, a candidate from Ecole Primaire Saint Agnes Nyarugunga in Kigali, who sat her examinations at G S Remera Protestant School.
Another pupil, Maxime Nkurunziza from Rwimbogo Primary School in Kigali said: "I believe I have done well. I am expecting good results," said Nkurunziza.
Meanwhile, Rwanda National Police spokesperson, Supt. Theos Badege, said the exercise went on smoothly with no reported cases of cheating or any other malpractice.
The examination answer sheets were yesterday transported to all district headquarters countrywide before they are ferried to the Rwanda Education Board headquarters in Kigali today.
Meanwhile, the national secondary school examinations are scheduled to begin on Wednesday next week.
Over 170,000 pupils sat for the exams this year.