Daily Trust (Abuja)

Nigeria: Okupe's Activities Harmful to Jonathan's Regime, Says CPC

The Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) yesterday said the activities of Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs to President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr. Doyin Okupe is deleterious to the Jonathan regime.

THe party said this while responding to a television interview with Dr Okupe where he was said to have made uncomplimentary remarks on former Head of States and leader of the CPC Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

National Publicity Secretary of the party, Rotimi Fashakin, said yesterday in a statement that Buhari's comment that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) government of President Goodluck Jonathan is the author of the political variant of Boko-Haram is unambiguous.

"At TV's interview session on Thursday, Dr. Okupe abandoned reason as a tool for dialectical engagement (based on verifiable fact) and sounded like a broken record in mouthing the same over-used propaganda (not based on substantiated fact) that Buhari incited his supporters to resort to violence during the 2011 electioneering campaigns.

"It was this same capricious but unfounded falsity that Dr Abati, his colleague in the business of image laundering project for President Jonathan, wrote in his The Guardian column in May 2011; the subject of a libelous litigation that Abati is desperately making attempts to untangle himself from.

"Since the advent of the Fourth Republic in May 29, 1999, aside the agitation of the Niger Delta militants for resource control, there had not been any structured infrastructure for mass attack on innocents and religious institutions as had been seen in the last 25 months.

"While Dr Jonathan was still vying for the presidential nomination of his party, there was a bomb blast near the Eagle Square, Abuja during the Independence anniversary celebration on October 1, 2011.

"Whilst the dust was still settling on an infamy that claimed innocent lives with many others severely wounded and without any preliminary report from the security agencies on the incident, the President said it is not MEND," Fashakin said.

He said a check on the President's statement would suggest that he had prior knowledge of the source of the blast.

Fashakin also said, "On Friday, August 26, 2011, the United Nations' building in Abuja was attacked. Asked if the attack has adverse effect on the image of Nigeria, the President said, "Of course, wherever you have terrorist attack in any country, Nigeria is not an isolated case. Many countries have suffered from terrorists attacks, maybe it is the turn of Nigeria. But we are on top of the situation". On the first anniversary of the bombed UN building, the government of Dr Jonathan provided N3.2billion to rehabilitate the UN house, made up of N2.6 Billion to start the building and N600Million to provide temporary accommodation, in addition promised to refund of $580,000 for the treatment of victims.

"It did not really matter to this profligate PDP government that the

United Nations, in its worldwide operations, has comprehensive insurance for its buildings and workers, even against terrorism! Was the offer by the government of Dr. Jonathan made because, "it is Nigeria's turn for terrorism?"

"In January 2012, President Jonathan told a bewildered nation, that his government has been infiltrated by Boko-Haram. The cogent questions are: How did the President know this as a fact? With the elaborate surveillance and espionage infrastructure under his watch, why has the nation not been informed on the unmasking of these fifth columnists in his government?"

He also said, "In February, 2012, Mohammed Ali Ndume, a serving PDP Senator from Borno South, was arrested for links with Boko Haram. In March 2012, the Senator deposed to an affidavit, wherein he stated that all his activities with Boko Haram are known to the nation's

Vice President, Namadi Sambo. There has not been any official rebuttal on the assertion, which realistically connotes acquiescence!

"In April 2012, Henry Okah, the leader of the Niger Delta militancy group (MEND), deposed to an affidavit before a South African court that President Jonathan was the sponsor of the October 1, 2011 bomb blast near the Eagle square. There has not been any official rebuttal from the Nation's Presidency."

He said the penchant for Okupe to attack whatever Buhari says, with concomitant jettisoning of reason, is despicable and stands condemned.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Daily Trust. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.