9 November 2012

Libya: Man Reunited With Family After 43 Years Apart

press release

On the occasion of the launch of its new restoring family links website, the ICRC presents the story of a Libyan refugee in Switzerland who is reunited with his family after 43 years of separation. Through a Red Cross message written by the family in Libya and transmitted by the ICRC Benghazi office, the Swiss Red Cross was able to locate Mr Al-Naji. The newly established website familylinks.icrc.org will now facilitate the work of the Red Cross Red Crescent to help restore contact between family members.


Benghazi, May 2012. As he steps onto the tarmac at the airport of his hometown for the first time in 43 years, Abdussalem Al-Naji is overwhelmed by emotion. He is greeted by his brothers, cousins and friends, as well as numerous children born to his relatives in his absence. That morning, Abdussalem was still in his flat in Dättwil, a small, quiet town in the Swiss canton of Aargau.

Exiled in Switzerland since the 1969 coup that brought Gaddafi to power, Abdussalem married Frieda, had three children and worked as an engineer at the Revox factory in Baden. Now 72, the retiree had severed all connections with his past. Until the day he got a call from the Swiss Red Cross, in December 2011. He learnt that his brother-in-law Ahmed was looking for him and had written him a message: "My dear brother, I pray to God to reunite us as soon as possible. I am in good health; the only thing missing is to see you again."

This message, collected by the ICRC office in Benghazi and forwarded to the Swiss Red Cross tracing service in Bern, was finally delivered in person to Abdussalem Al-Naji. As Nicole Windlin, head of restoring family links at the Swiss Red Cross, explains: "We were able to track down the Naji family quickly and our colleague delivered the message from his relatives. It's very important to support these people at such an emotional time." Abdussalem filled in the Red Cross message reply form on the spot, which was sent back to his brother-in-law.

At that point, telephone calls started going back and forth between Switzerland and Libya. Abdussalem spoke to his family every week, catching up on the good and the bad news. It was a shock to learn of the death of his mother during his absence. For 43 years, apart from some sporadic telephone calls in the early 1980s, they had chosen to sever all ties.

Because of fears about their safety, Abdussalem and his family in Libya decided to cease all contact. Silence fell between them. No more telephone calls or letters. The change of regime in 2011 put an end to 43 long years apart.

Copyright © 2012 International Committee of the Red Cross. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.