A WOMAN in Kitwe was yesterday severely burnt when she strayed into a Zesco sub-station.
Grace Mwakanamwinga of Old Ndeke Township got burnt around 07:30 hours in a secured sub-station near St Martin's School on Lumumba Road in Parklands.
Zesco technicians who rushed to the scene had to break the locks at the entrance to rescue Ms Mwakanamwinga who was screaming in pain after being burnt.
St Martin's School Catholic sister Gloria Mwale who witnessed the incident said the sisters at the convent heard a person screaming and later saw passersby running towards the Zesco sub-station.
"When we went there, we found her burnt by the transformer. She was screaming in pain and told us that she wanted to relieve herself," Sr Gloria said.
Energy Regulation Board officials also rushed to the scene and wondered how Ms Mwakanamwinga jumped over the parameter wall of the sub-station and what she really wanted at a secure facility.
Ms Mwakanamwinga was rushed to Kitwe Central Hospital (KCH) where she was admitted with 18 per cent burns.
By Press time, KCH spokesperson Gray Chishimba said doctors were still assessing Ms Mwakanamwinga's condition.