The chairperson of the anti-human trafficking taskforce, Eunice Kisembo, says the government will halt all labour export, as they ascertain which firms are genuine, and hence weed out human traffickers.
Kisembo, who had just returned with five Ugandans recently arrested in Swaziland, said her duty was to sensitise all Ugandans searching for greener pastures abroad so they do not fall into the wrong hands. The five Ugandans had been languishing in Manzini correctional centre after they were arrested for illegal entry. She identified the five as Henry Lutaaya, Dickens Mugisha, Benon Ndorohegye, Bosco Nubaha, and Moses Andinda, who were taken to Swaziland by one Acleo Kalinga of Linyah Advertising Agency based in Bwaise Kampala.
Kisembo says they received information that the human traffick victims were being held in a deplorable detention centre and had no contact with their relatives in Uganda.
"The ministry of Internal Affairs, worked through our consular officer in Swaziland, Tobias Kamugisha, and negotiated their release," she said.
She added that they were now scrutinizing the activities of companies dealing in labour export and called for closer vigilance on the borders as the victims had travelled by road. Achleo Kalinga has since been arrested and his Linyah Advertising Agency closed. Ironically Kalinga is a 40-year-old Rwandan citizen who claims that he was illegally detained for two years and tortured in Ugandan jails. Other accounts indicate he was born in Luweero of Rwandan parents on March 30, 1970.
Kisembo added that over 200 victims have been rescued from human traffickers who are increasingly conning people by promising them jobs abroad, adding that most of those conned by Kalinga were rescued from Zambia and Zimbabwe.