Management of Melcom Group of Companies says plans are underway to compensate victims of its Achimota branch disaster which occurred on Wednesday last week.
According to Melcom, as per the last reports at 6:20 PM by Major Wiafe, who led the rescue team, a total of 81 people were rescued, 54 discharged from hospitals, 14 died, and 13 on admission at the hospitals.
The management of the largest retail chain of departmental shops added that out of the 81 people, 63 of them were Melcom staff, 21 of them discharged from the hospitals, 12 staff died, 11 on admission at Achimota and 37 Military hospitals, one untraceable, and 18 of the staff were on safe list.
The Head of Public Relations at Melcom Group, Mr. Richmond Oduro Kwarteng told journalists at a press conference in Accra, yesterday. He assured relatives of the disaster victims that the company would bear the hospital and funeral expenses, stressed that "with regard to medical bills, deposits have already been made at all the hospitals, namely: 37 Military hospital, Achimota hospital, Police Hospital and the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital to ensure that the patients receive uninterrupted and ongoing medical care".
Mr. Kwarteng also added that the key management of Melcom had visited the relatives of the disaster victims and expressed their condolence to them.
He further assured: "Those still on admission are receiving the best care in terms of medication and attention of doctors and nurses. They have been provided with welfare packages to make them as comfortable as possible".
Mr. Kwarteng who was flanked by the Chief Operating Officer of Melcom Group, Mr. Arvinder Singh, and the Senior Administration Manager of Melcom, Mr. Atul Dave emphasized that the company's representatives are on stand-by 24/7 at all the hospitals with additional funds, as and when it becomes necessary for further treatment.
Work at the disaster site has been ongoing since the disaster struck on Wednesday last week. Officials of government, NGOs, private organisations and individual volunteers have assisted in excavating the debris, rescuing survivors and recovering bodies of those who did not make it, he stated.
Mr. Kwarteng sincerely thanked Corporal Nester Aneateba, who was instrumental in saving 14 lives. His thanks also go to the Deputy Minister of Health, Mr. Joseph Mettle-Nunoo and Mr. Yasir Kahveci of Day Break Engineering Limited.
The Melcom Group's special thanks go to H.E President John Dramani Mahama and his wife, Vice President Paa Kwesi Amissah-Arthur, Ministers of state, Mayor of Accra, presidential candidates of the various political parties, diplomats, traditional leaders and the general public.
Mr. Kwarteng and management of Melcom Group further thanked organisations who are assisting with the rescue including the Ghana Armed Forces, National Ambulance, Ghana National Fire Service, NADMO, the Israel rescue team, Zoomlion and PW Construction Company.
The Chief Operating Officer of Melcom Group, Mr. Arvinder Singh revealed that the company had engaged the services of psychologists to train the affected staff after recovery.
In the wake of the disaster, he assured Ghanaians that all their buildings were certified by international experts.