The reconstruction of Kasubi tombs is to kick off in January next year, the Katikkiro of Buganda, John Baptist Walusimbi, has revealed.
Addressing the Buganda Lukiiko (Parliament) at Bulange in Mengo, Walusimbi said bidders have already submitted their documents and are under scrutiny by quantity surveyors and the committee in charge.
"The successful bidder will be announced on November 30. We have also instituted a committee to assess materials to be used in the reconstruction process to ease the work when it kicks off," he noted.
The project will involve rebuilding of the main house (muzibu azaala mpanga) where four Buganda kings were buried. The kings include Walugembe Mutesa I, Basamula Mwanga, Daudi Chwa and Edward Mutesa II.
The tombs went into flames two years ago when unknown arsonists set them on fire, destroying most of the regalia.
The Lukiiko also mourned the death of four people, including the Kabaka's guards, who succumbed to severe burns at Nakasero Hospital after fire gutted the security house at Bulange main entrance last month.
Walusimbi said security has been intensified at Bulange to avoid similar incidences. He demanded for the official report on the cause of the fire from the Police.
The Lukiiko members demanded for the kingdom's official position on the abolition of local languages in secondary schools.