14 November 2012

Namibia: Alleged Birthday Bash Murderer in Court

Windhoek — A young man who allegedly killed his girlfriend on Saturday in Golgotha during the birthday party of the couple's four-year-old daughter, yesterday made a routine appearance in the Katutura Magistrate's Court.

The accused, Jeffrey Barman (21) appeared before Magistrate Cosmos Endjala facing a charge of murder. Barman's legal rights were explained to him, and the matter was remanded to February 14, 2013 to enable him to seek legal representation and enable the police to conduct further investigations into the murder that sent shockwaves throughout Golgotha and the greater Windhoek.

Barman indicated that he would apply for legal aid.

Prosecutor Menencia Hinda objected to the accused being granted bail, arguing that that it would not be in the public interest.

She added that Barman might interfere with State witnesses who are known to him.

Hinda also objected to the accused being granted bail on the grounds that he may interfere with police investigations, and the fact that he is accused of a very serious offence.

Barman allegedly killed his girlfriend Melanie Booysen (20) on Saturday by cutting her throat with a broken shard of glass in an incident witnessed by many partygoers.

The victim's aunt Desire Swartz informed New Era on Sunday that the victim's throat was cut with a piece of broken glass. Swartz said the late Booysen asked the accused something and he got upset. She added that it was not a big quarrel.

He was arrested around 17:00 on the same day of the crime. Swartz said that the couple used to quarrel, but she was unsure if he ever beat her.

On Sunday a neighbour who spoke to New Era on condition of anonymity said that she was sitting outside on Saturday, when she heard the couple arguing. She sent her daughter to see what was going on, and her daughter came back saying that someone was lying on the floor.

The woman added that she locked up her shebeen and phoned the City Police, who responded immediately and were at the scene in about 10 -15 minutes. The source further observed the ambulance took between 30 to 45 minutes to arrive shortly after the woman was pronounced dead from a possible loss of blood.

Copyright © 2012 New Era. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.