One boy died after eating rabbit meat suspected to be contaminated in Naivasha. Three other members of the family including the mother were taken to a private hospital in critical condition.
The rabbit meat was part of their supper. The family started vomiting and complaining of stomach ache and headache. A neighbour said she heard screams from the house at around 8pm. She went to find what was happening, only to find the family members lying on the floor.
According to Naivasha district public health officer Mr Samuel King'ori, initial investigations pointed to food poisoning. He said that his officers had established that the family had reared over 20 rabbits which developed a disease and started dying one after the other.
"The family decided to eat one of the rabbits unknowing that it was also sick and this left one boy dead and three family members in hospital," he said.
King'ori called on members of the public to desist eating uninspected meat saying that if contaminated it could lead to death. He said that his officers had visited the home and taken samples as investigations into the incident continued.
Meanwhile officers from the department of public health, veterinary and the police continued with inspection of various food joints across the town.